It might seem odd to talk about it, but this is an issue that most of us face : Our pillows tend to get yellow-ish over time, because they loose their bright white color. And the main reason for that is sweat and sebum produced by the scalp.
Below, i’ll show how to fix up your pillows and restore their original color. Note that the great Martha Stewart advises to clean our pillows at least twice a year!
Here is the recipe to whiten and clean your pillows!
You will need :
- 1 cup of dish-washing powder,
- 1 cup of laundry detergent,
- 1/2 cup of Borax,
- 1 cup of bleach.
How to :
- First, read the care label to make sure you can machine wash your pillows
- Take off the pillow case,
- Then, fill your washing machine with 1/3 of hot water (you can add a few pans of boiling water if you want to)
- Add all of the ingredients above, and start running the machine. Allow all the detergent to dissolve.
- When your laundry detergent is fully dissolved, you can add your pillow(s). Allow your washing machine to fill with hot water. You can wash two pillows at a time!
- Shake your pillows off for a few minutes, then turn them over so the rest of the fabric can get the full effect of the hot water. Agitate again for few more minutes.
- You, finally, will have to put your machine on the 2nd rinse cycle.
Once the rinse cycle is done, put your pillows in the dryer or set them to dry outside in the sun.