The time where we had to stock and pile up our shoes in a closet is over. A New-York sneakers fan, Mr Woodcase, had the idea to build giant shoeboxes out of wood. He manufactured shoeboxes that are a perfect replica of boxes that come with new shoes. He originally posted a video on his Instagram account, it was so huge of a success that he decided to start selling his special creations. The only issue is the cost, each shoebox is sold at nearly £300.
And since we know we can DIY our way through life, it is definitely possible to make a hinge lid style mega shoebox by ourselves. It will take you a little time but the result will be amazing and unique!
So to keep your shoes nice and cosy, here’s the step-by-step tutorial, courtesy of “The WoodFather” to build your own gigantic shoebox that has a drawer and opens up just like a shoebox would.
For a hinge lid style shoebox, you will need these tools :
- Drill and driver,
- Drawer runners,
- Cabinet hinges,
- Lid stay,
To make your shoe box you will need 15mm Plywood, here are the dimensions you can buy at any hardware store :
For the box :
Base : 1000mm x 700mm
Back : 970mm x 450mm
Sides : 700mm x 450mm (x2)
For the lid :
Top : 1030mm x 715mm
Side lips : 700mm x 140mm (x2)
Front lip : 1030mmx 140mm
For the drawer :
Bottom : 970mm x 650mm
Sides : 650mm x 100mm (x2)
Front : 970mm x 450 mm
Let’s go :
- Start by attaching the base, sides and back of the box together.
- Install the bottom drawer runners as close to the bottom of the box as possible.
- Assemble the drawer and position it so when closed, the top of the drawer front lines up with the top of the box sides.
- Install the fixed shelf halfway up the cabinet.
- Attach the lid to the box using cabinet hinges.
- Attach the side and front lips to the underside of the lid.
- Install the lid.
- You’re done!
You can now choose to give your unique huge shoebox the looks you want. You can either use decals, paint it or let it raw. It’s up to you now!